Well I guess I’m officially 25 years young. Thankfully, I didn’t wake up with creaky knees, crows feet or gray hair soooo so far so good. 🙂
Twenty-five has always been a big milestone for me. Many of my goals I had for myself I wanted to accomplish before 25 and I’m proud to say that most of them I did. I’ve looked forward to finally being in my mid-twenties. I feel like with that comes a little more respect, a little less judgement and a lot more expectation. For so many years I was lumped into the typical younger 20’s party crowd even though I was a wife, mother and never partied. I was looked at as just another young, irresponsible person walking around sucking up oxygen. No matter how hard I tried stigmas seem to always stick no matter what the circumstance. So today I’m celebrating and feeling a little more grown up and hope that finally I can be looked at for what I really am and not be lumped in with the rest of the world.
Every year on my birthday I like to spend a moment to reflect on my life and set goals for myself for the future. This year is no different and even more important to me since in 5 years I’ll be the big three zero!!! Gulp!!!
So after much reflection and thought here are some things I hope to accomplish this year…..
1) LIVE IN THE MOMENT! This always sounds so much easier than it really is. As a wife and mother I am constantly worrying about plans, routines, schedules, time management and just getting through the day. With all the stressors and demands in life it is hard for me to just stop and relish in a single minute of the day. I’m a realistic person and certainly realize I will not be able to cherish every single moment of every day but I want to try harder to truly experience the magic that is life.
2) STOP JUST BREATHING AND START LIVING! This goes with number one but this year I want to really LIVE! Life is routine and can some times be the same every day. I want to do something adventurous, new, exciting and truly feel alive. I’m not saying I don’t feel alive and don’t have a great life but I believe in order to grow as a person you must try new things, step out of the comfort zone, and do something unexpected. I am constantly trying to evolve and grow into a better person and I think half the battle is trying something different. It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut and become a shell of my former self. I don’t want that for myself, for my kids or for my husband. I want them to look at me and see life, joy and happiness.
3) HAVE MORE QUIET TIME! Quiet time in our house is what we refer to when my kids nap. I’m not necessarily referring to more napping, although that would be nice. However, my goal is to spend less time plugged in and more time meditating (for lack of a better word.) I don’t really know anything about formal meditating but I want to spend like 5 minutes a day just shutting my mind off and being quiet. I am the type of person that is on go all the time. I have the nickname “energizer bunny” because I do everything fast. I go, go, go all the time and sometimes my brain just doesn’t know how to stop going and shut down. I have trouble sleeping because there are so many thoughts bouncing around in my brain and if I wake up in the middle of the night there is no hope of going back to bed. I find that I get overwhelmed and distressed because I have not allowed myself a break and any time to just be. So for me this a must this year so that I can preserve my own mental health. I fear what might happen if I don’t succeed in this goal.
4) GET HEALTHY! I have had this goal for so many years and have achieved much of it but not all of it. Food and exercise is an anchor in my life that I want to get rid of. Healthy eating and exercise needs to be a part of my life not a hindrance and a chore. I’m so tired of knowing what I need to do yet not being able to find the energy or drive to do it. I know how to be healthy and I know everything about exercise…..it’s just doing it. I want to look in the mirror and know that I have treated myself and my body with respect. That I have nourished it with affection and health so that it can perform in the absolute best way. Yes, I love fashion and all the things that come with being in shape…but mostly I want health. I want to live a long life and not have to worry about doctors, and therapists and endless tests. I don’t want someone to have to give me therapy at 45 because I didn’t take care of myself. I want to teach my children that we have one body and we must take care of it. I want to be a role model for all the mothers out there who have had kids and have given up that it is possible. It’s possible to be great, beautiful, healthy and still be super mom. Most of all I want to feel as beautiful as my husband says I am. I owe it to him to take care of myself and to be the best me. He deserves that….as do I. I’m done counting calories and trying fads. I want to live in a healthy way the rest of my life, and keeping track of numbers and sweating to death on a treadmill is not something I will do forever. This year it’s all about eating healthy and attainable things and moving in more ways that are fun and exciting for everybody.
5) WEDDING TIME!! My sisters wedding is 2 months away and while the thought is becoming overwhelming due to the lack of time for planning….I am very excited and happy for the big day. My fifth goal is to make her wedding day the most special day she will ever have. I want her to look back on it without regrets and always relish in the magic of the day. Getting married is a huge step in life and I hope to have her marriage start out with all the beauty and love in the world. (Now I just really need to get on the ball and finish planning….oops)
6) WITNESS A MIRACLE! I have had a few miracles in my life and they have brought me nothing but joy. However, without getting in to details I could use a couple more this year. I believe in miracles….I think working in healthcare you have to believe. I know we can’t control such things and that the universe has a reason for everything but this year I really need one. So here’s to wishing on that shooting star…..
To all of those who have been a part of my life for the full 25 or just the past 5….I love you and appreciate you and thank you for sticking with me through all the good and the bad. I would not be who I am today without you.