So in my quest for finding awesome beauty products I came across something interesting. I have actually found a food product that is often more useful in the bathroom than the kitchen. Let me introduce you to the wonders of…… COCONUT OIL!!!
This stuff is amazing and I found a pretty big bottle in the baking goods section of the grocery store for under six dollars. Considering the multiple uses for this product it is seriously an amazing deal. Here are all the things I use it for.
1) My favorite use is as a hair mask. I have pretty healthy hair considering I religiously keep up with my 6 week hair appointments and use all sort of protective products when applying heat. However, every girl needs a little help to restore shine, moisture and perk up otherwise dull strands….especially in these cold and dry winter months. I section out my hair using clips and lather strands liberally with oil. (The oil is solid at room temperature but is quickly turned to oil when applied due to heat from hands) After oil is liberally applied I pile hair on top and use a ponytail holder to secure. Once this is complete there are two options. A shower cap can be put on and you can blast hair with blow dryer for 15 minutes or you can just go sit down, relax, drink some wine and catch up on your favorite tv show while the oil sits for 30 minutes with no heat. Either way works fine and has the same effect. I usually use the time to give myself a mani and pedi so that I can get everything done at once. After 30 minutes is up shower and wash hair very well with shampoo and conditioner. The best advice I can give is to lather the shampoo very well all over head otherwise washing twice is sometimes required. Afterwards, your hair will be shiny, moisturized and very soft….guaranteed. I do this at least once a week sometimes twice a week and have seen major improvements with my hair.
2) I also use it as an all over body moisturizer. This stuff soaks into skin but also leaves a sexy glow and shine to skin. I used to really like to use body oil and baby oil as a moisturizer but it often times left oily residue on everything that I touched the rest of the day. This is an oil but it soaks into skin and doesn’t get all over everything. My skin is soft ALL DAY even when I’m outside. I use this right after the shower in the morning and night before going to bed.
3) Along with an all over body moisturizer this is great for feet and cracked heels. I slather a generous amount on my feet and cover with a sock while still wet. I then go to sleep and let the oil do it’s magic overnight. In the morning I take my sock off and voila my feet are soft and touchable and much less damaged. I usually do this every night and morning because it’s just so simple.
4) Who knew a pantry staple could moonlight as an under eye creamer. You can use this oil alone or combine it with some vitamin E oil to make a moisturizer for under the eyes. It is a fraction of the price of the fancy store bought products and it has the same effect. It keeps the thin tissues of the eye moisturized and the vitamin E promotes brightness to help prevent dark circles. I have also found that a little on my eyelashes provides some moisturizing benefits after they have been caked in mascara all day. I have very oily skin and am prone to breakouts and have not had a single problem using oil on my face. I keep it around the eye area and not all over but have had zero problems since doing this.
5) I can’t afford to buy a manicure and pedicure every week…..even as much as I wish I could. Therefore, I am stuck doing my own nail care once a week or when I can get to it. I used to buy cuticle oils and creams specifically made for nails. Now I can just use this stuff. It saves me money and quite frankly I think it works better. A little dab can cover all 5 fingers on one hand. I massage oil into cuticles and let sit. I then push back cuticles and wipe off excess oil before applying polish. Make sure oil is removed from nail before polish otherwise polish will not last as long.
So next time you’re at the store pick up some of this amazing stuff. I absolutely love it and it has saved me lots of money. I have been using it for almost 2 months and have used about 1/4 of the bottle. I will easily get about 6 months worth of uses out of this one bottle and again it was less than 6 dollars. You can barely buy a moisturizer for under 6 dollars these days. So give it a try and let me know what ya think. Hope you like it as much as I do!!
Stay beautiful and pampered!!!