I made this the other night and it is so delicious. I had never actually made chicken and waffles but it was surprisingly easy to pull together and could be done completely homemade, semi-homemade, or honestly you could cheat and buy everything store bought. Doesn’t matter as I’m sure it’s all equally delicious. Best part about this recipe is it is husband and kid approved! Winning on all fronts.
You will need a waffle maker for this recipe unless you just want to buy waffles from the store. You can usually find some delicious and big belgian waffles in the bakery section of every major grocery store. Also, you can make the fried chicken by hand using your favorite recipe or you can buy the pre-made strips and warm them in the oven. (That’s what I did) Again, make this as easy or as complicated as you like.
So grab your forks and napkins and enjoy this delicious warm and filling comfort food on any night of the week or get real crazy and serve up a delicious Sunday Brunch before watching some football with the family. Either way, enjoy!
Chicken and Waffles
with delicious white gravy
Use store bought chicken or use your own fried/baked chicken recipe
1 large egg white
2 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
White Pepper Gravy:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp whole milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp scallions, chopped
For the waffles:
- While the chicken is baking, preheat your waffle iron.
2. In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, beat egg white and one tablespoon of sugar on medium-speed until light and fluffy and soft peaks begin to form, about 1 minute; set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the batter and pour in the melted butter and buttermilk. Whisk until mixture is smooth and no lumps remain. Using a spatula, gently fold in the egg whites, stirring just until incorporated.
4. Using a 3/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter and pour onto heated waffle iron. Cook until waffle is browned and crispy on the outside. Repeat for the second waffle. Once the waffles are done, place them on a plate and store inside the microwave or wrapped in aluminum foil to keep warm.
For the White Pepper Gravy:
- In a small pan over medium-heat, melt the butter and whisk together with the flour for about 2 minutes. Add in the milk, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until thickened – it goes quick. Remove from heat.
To assemble place a waffle on plate. Top with chicken, then pour gravy on top of chicken and waffle. Top with chopped scallions, if desired.