Last night we had some pre-fourth of july fun with my cousin and his family. We enjoyed some delicious pizza, ice cream, fireworks and good fun.
I love watching fireworks in a safe location where I am miles away from any explosive device. I’ve never been a huge fan of shooting off my own but am definitely much more nervous now that I have kids. There is something about a Mother’s instinct to protect her brood that just doesn’t mix with shooting off explosives in the backyard. However, I survive every year with clenched teeth and celebrate when the last one explodes in the sky. A small happy dance might also happen. Haha
Anyways, when we got to the firework portion of the evening I was less nervous since we now have an acre of land. I figured more space equals less danger. We started off small….with some fountain things and bright, sparkly things. (You can tell I’m a fireworks expert with all these technical names) They were pretty and contained so all was right in the world. We then moved on to the “big stuff” which in our world is the 10-15 dollar gems. First few went off great and judging from the oohs and ahhs from the kids….I’d say they enjoyed them.
We were all just chilling and having a great time when the world nearly ended. My cousin was in the middle of our backyard lighting the firework, which is far away from the house. The rest of us adults were on the deck and the three kids were below the deck watching the show. Gavin was sleeping soundly in his crib oblivious to all things booming outside and Kaylee (their baby) was quite content in her mommas arms. We are all relaxed and enjoying the fireworks when all of a sudden big glowing fireballs start shooting right at us. The firework had tipped over and was now pointed at the 3 kids, adults and my house. What happened next was sure to be YouTube worthy and probably would have made us all rich on America’s Funniest Home Videos. My memory is a little foggy because I’m pretty sure I have PTSD from the experience but it went something like this. The first firework went straight for the kids and literally exploded right in front of their faces. That sparked some yelling, screaming and flat out chaos. Jared ran to cover the baby, me and Rebecca hunched down and we were all yelling at the kids to get down and run inside. Firework number two landed on the deck inches away from our feet and the prompted more yells and I’m pretty sure at that moment I highly considered diving under our picnic table. Firework number three was fiery red and exploded about 6 inches from the tops of our heads. All I remember is seeing bright red fireballs raining an inch from my face and thinking that I was going to die by death of firework. I’m pretty sure my life really did flash before my eyes literally and figuratively. The kids finally headed up the stairs onto the deck once they realized that this was not a normal occurrence. Poor things all tripped over each other in their haste to reach safety. In the smoky haze I remember looking out to the field to see how my cousin was faring since he was close to ground zero. He was running around trying to avoid the blasts and trying to figure out how to get them away from all of us. That was obviously an impossibility. The kids finally made it up the deck and we all managed to run inside right as the last firework blasted on top of the deck. We then preceded to count heads, fingers and toes to make sure everyone had made it out alive. Luckily, no injuries occurred.
My heart rate was through the roof and I think it took about 10 solid minutes to calm down. I think we were all anxious for the whole show to be over at that point. Even the kids were like “How many more” and “Are we almost done.” We have all been scarred for life.
Now that I have had a minute to think about the experience, I fully realize that the likelihood of one of us having a fatal injury was pretty slim. However, when explosives are raining on your head and in front of your kids’ faces there really isn’t much time for logical thinking. We all had some seriously good laughs about it once we were safely back inside. I’m sure the neighbors next door also had some serious good chuckles at the sight of us all. I would have liked to see it all on video because I’m sure it was quite the sight. I learned that I could never handle a real war zone….I’d die of a heart attack in about 3 seconds. I also learned that my husband is clearly the better parent. His instinct was to cover Kaylee’s little body and yell at the older kids. My instinct was to yell at the kids and dive under a picnic table. Clearly every man for himself was my natural inclination. Mother of the Year anyone??? :/
We did have one slight injury due to those dangerous sparklers. Emily got a small little burn on the top of her arm which was quickly cured with a Princess Jasmine band-aid. (Don’t ask why we have princess band-aides in a house full of boys)
Overall, it was a fun night and I really enjoyed my morning coffee and baby snuggles this morning without searing burns on my face. 🙂
(Gavin is not pictured here because a miracle occurred and he slept through the whole entire show…..war zone and all)