It seems like we have a lot of birthdays at the end and beginning of the year….and here we go again! Today is my big brother’s bday! He will be 28 years young and I can’t believe how fast time flies. I know I say that all the time but it really never ceases to amaze me on days like today.
Growing up with my brother was always an adventure. We were always the best of friends and were relentlessly loyal to one another. If one got in trouble, we both did. If one was happy we were both happy. Even at a very young age we had this undescribable bond that only a brother and sister could ever possibly understand. My brother was an endless aggravator but for some reason I didn’t really mind because I ALWAYS got him back in due time. We are three years apart and I remember always wondering if he would outgrow our good relationship. I knew that some day having a younger sister hanging around would become “uncool” and lame. I was a freshman when he was a senior in high school and I was pretty sure that would be the “moment” it would happen. No senior is supposed to hang out or even talk to freshman. I wasn’t gonna feel hurt if this happened, because even at a young age I knew how the world worked and how teenagers felt. I would probably feel the same way. However, that didn’t happen. My cool brother always talked to me at lunch, encouraged me to become involved in his love for theatre and never once appeared to mind when I was hanging around or involved in the same things he was. Guess that means he thought I was “cool” too. 🙂
Like any relationship there is bound to be some speed bumps. Ours finally came when my brother went to college. It took years for me to heal and recover from some betrayals but as an adult you learn that some things just happen and we have no control over another person. Now, we are better than ever and have re-found that bond that helped us through life so many years ago. So today on his birthday I want to celebrate his awesomeness, craziness, talents and most of all his life.
Things I love most about my brother:
1) His smile!! Ever since we were young my brother has always been funny, full of laughter and goofy. His smile has always been his best feature and it truly lights up a room. When he was young his smile meant he was usually up to no good but only his sister could tell the difference! haha
2) His talents. My brother has always been talented in many areas of his life. His love for theatre, acting and singing is present in every part of his life. He introduced me to the stage which ultimately led me to my love affair with stage management and everything behind the scenes. When he completed a stint starring in a show at Silver Dollar City I remember the crowds of people that used to sit and talk about how great he was. I was always proud of him but in those moments and it warmed my heart that people saw what I saw.
3) He is an endless dreamer. Many people criticize those who have big dreams and never stop pursuing them. However, I have a different perspective. The society we live in has made it difficult to dream, to function and pursue anything less than a regular corporate job. I admire those who wish to break out of the mold and never give up on being better and achieving their ultimate goals. My brother has a vision for himself, his life and will stop at nothing to get it. He is in love with his craft and wants to use it in the biggest possible way. Is he the only one with these dreams? Absolutely not but as his sister, who shares his blood, I understand his passions and his tenacity. I want nothing more for him than success and for all of his hard work to pay off. Someday I’ll be just as bold and relentless as he is! 🙂
4) His humor! I may be biased but I think my brother is pretty darn hilarious. He has always been witty and goofy and it has brought us numerous laughs together. Even in the moments he is trying to be serious there is still a humor that shines through and makes me laugh. Don’t worry, big brother, I’m always laughing WITH you and not AT you!! Mwahahahahah 😉
5) He is the best uncle ever! My boys have only 2 uncles and they are both equally awesome. I’ll never forget the look on their faces when he surprised them with a huge batman for their birthday this year. They were thrilled and couldn’t believe their uncle could pull off such a feat. 🙂 Uncle Drew happens to be one of my kids’ favorite people and I am so thankful they get to grow up with such an awesome guy.
Today we are going to spend it watching Oscar movies and cramming our faces with food. On this day I wish my brother all the happiness and success in the world. I am thankful that I grew up with someone who always watched out for me, protected me and took care of me. He was always outnumbered by sisters and I know he always longed for a brother. I hope that even though I am a girly girl in every form of the word he has found some mutual bond that is greater than one shared between brothers. I love ya buddy and I will always be you’re number one fan!!!